SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Re: Best Friends Club

@ChouxieChou 

Do you put the tomatoes in anything before adding them to the oil?

I want to though, the nomadic tribes of pre history Australia ate em. For environmental reasons, maybe we gotta eat em?

I get nice oil. The best I can buy. The oil is the key to a confit. Not a duck or meat. A veg, garlic, tomato we stir

I put the toms in to soak, have a bath for a while. I keep my eye on them. They’ll get soft eventually. Then I squish em. I’ll add smashed garlic at this time if I want to. A dollop of good tomato paste if I want a sketty sauce. Otherwise I will stir my tomato down for the longest time, until they are perfect for my toast or my focaccia. I’m going to cook them on low/now, until the sugar in the tomato is set free and meets the acid and in return they make the most delicious thing ever

Sorry @Eve7 

Sorry @Oaktree 

Brain 🧠 fry - Lawyer stuff at 4pm 

Things they miss.

G

@Glisten 

That’s ok. It’s easy to get things a bit confused at the end of the day

It’s not actually a confit cos I squish the tomatoes. The technique is there a bit, it just makes a lovely luxurious tomato thing to put on toast. Stir in tomato paste and cook it down. For ala vodka the technique is similar, start with shallots in a decent amount of oil

and stir them down with tomato paste until they change colour. Add vodka and flash fry, then relax the pan and add cream. 

@ChouxieChou 

I found this. Sounds like you do it a bit differently.

https://youtu.be/fBB6p_eR1as?si=Dsdn1eODwI7qmwyZ

Confit comes from the French term "to preserve", and tomatoes are the perfect vegetable to store in your refrigerator after the days of summer are gone. Martha cooks the vegetables low and slow and then stores them in olive oil, which preserves their texture and shape. #MarthaStewart ...

@ChouxieChou you just made me salivate 🤤

👋🏼 I would eat your food 

G

@Glisten 

@ChouxieChou Has got me thinking I need to try making tomato confit