SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Re: Best Friends Club

@ChouxieChou 

Do you put the tomatoes in anything before adding them to the oil?

I want to though, the nomadic tribes of pre history Australia ate em. For environmental reasons, maybe we gotta eat em?

I get nice oil. The best I can buy. The oil is the key to a confit. Not a duck or meat. A veg, garlic, tomato we stir

I put the toms in to soak, have a bath for a while. I keep my eye on them. They’ll get soft eventually. Then I squish em. I’ll add smashed garlic at this time if I want to. A dollop of good tomato paste if I want a sketty sauce. Otherwise I will stir my tomato down for the longest time, until they are perfect for my toast or my focaccia. I’m going to cook them on low/now, until the sugar in the tomato is set free and meets the acid and in return they make the most delicious thing ever

Sorry @Eve7 

Sorry @Oaktree 

Brain 🧠 fry - Lawyer stuff at 4pm 

Things they miss.

G

@Glisten 

That’s ok. It’s easy to get things a bit confused at the end of the day

It’s not actually a confit cos I squish the tomatoes. The technique is there a bit, it just makes a lovely luxurious tomato thing to put on toast. Stir in tomato paste and cook it down. For ala vodka the technique is similar, start with shallots in a decent amount of oil

and stir them down with tomato paste until they change colour. Add vodka and flash fry, then relax the pan and add cream. 

@ChouxieChou 

I found this. Sounds like you do it a bit differently.

https://youtu.be/fBB6p_eR1as?si=Dsdn1eODwI7qmwyZ

@ChouxieChou you just made me salivate 🤤

👋🏼 I would eat your food 

G

@Glisten 

@ChouxieChou Has got me thinking I need to try making tomato confit