SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@utopia

Yes, the simple stuff is often the most effective! Breathing can help ground and center. Find somewhere to relax into your breath (breathe into your belly naturally, when we are tense we usually breath shallowly), relax your shoulders and every part of your body. Allow yourself this - just 10-15 breaths can help 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

Hi all, I’ve come in a bit late, just read all the previous posts and am up to speed.  

Im usually tanked by lunch time, I can’t remember the last time I looked forward to or enjoyed Xmas.  It was made worse after I lost my 9yo son in a car accident 12 years ago.  But it hadn’t been enjoyable for a long time before then.

I rarely receive a gift, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking - I just feel like I’m always on the outside looking in.

My only coping strategy so far is to get smashed early and except Xmas isn’t for me 

You’re so brave @Adge

I could never go thst with strangers. 

Good on you x

@utopia I would ideally like to tell my family I’ll just get in the car and go for a drive, but because that will appear random they might question why, and I don’t want to tell them it’s because I can’t cope but I will tell them if I have too because I’m sick of the feeling of choking and not being able to get rid of it. I find getting away helps me.

@Former-Member@Razzle@Adge@utopia@BlueBay

It is clear that you're a highly self-aware bunch :). This is where your strength is - knowing yourselves, your triggers, your needs; and self-caring around all of that

Hugs @Razzle ❤️

@Former-Member

Getting in your car is a good plan.  A short escape to resettle yourself. 

@Razzle Welcome thanks for joining, and thank you for sharing Heart That is incredibly painful of course Christmas must be incredibly challenging. Sending you a tonne of love.

Just to note too, we need to be mindful about alcohol consumption around christmas time, it can be detrimental to our emotional health and wellbeing. Recommended standard drinks is always a goer on chrissy day!

Thanks @Robert_Lifeline Yes I do get some sense of connection & belonging from events like that - if I can make myself go to them.

But I really need to take that sense of belonging & connection home with me - which I don't know how to do (doesn't usually happen).

Thanks heaps @BlueBay

Adge

I feel a lot of my friends and co-workers don’t understand how damn difficult it is st Xmas time for people with a mentsl illness @Former-Member@Robert_Lifeline

They just have no idea. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance