SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@Former-Member

Yes, it is really important I believe to value and prioritise self-care. Develop a routine that you can realistically follow. Self-care is a proactive, preventative commitment to doing what you need to do in order to create a robust/resilient ‘you’. It is also about dealing with stress (the reaction to adverse events).The three most important self-care activities: Enough sleep, enough water, exercise. 

Self-care includes emotional self-care, spiritual self-care (or being with nature if you don't identify as spiritual), physical self-care..

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@Former-Member I zone out and fall in a heap after the day. 

I get exhausted physically mentally and emotionally. 

If it’s hot I’ll go to the beach but otherwise I hibernate in my own. 

I have spent nearly all of the past 8 Christmases on my own, with no celebration or gathering.

Not by choice, my relatives live on the east coast.

This year my  only Christmas event or gathering will be going to the local council Christmas lunch.

It's for people who have no-where else to go, cannot afford anything, or have no family & close connections.

It's a good thing, that was a positive step for me.

Adge

Thanks @Former-Member xx

@Former-Member

And also social self-care (maybe 'me' time is more relevant here!)

@Robert_Lifeline, @Former-Member

I asked my mr shaz this question and he said his self care is " his Wife " -- Me

@Former-Member - the (so called)  simplest self care I will do - is shower.  Once I've got that task out of the way,  I tend to feel better.

Wearing nice new clothes and feeling like I look good,  will also help lift my mood. 

Also,  I have to take time out to do 5 minute breathing exercises to ground myself. 

Also,  I might put some calming tablets in my bag,  incase it gets too stressful,  then I can have a tablet. 

I’m so glad you won’t be alone @Adge xx

@utopia Not being able to step away, is that feeling or thought making you feel uneasy about the day? I usually feel better once I’ve gotten away and won’t be able to do this either which is fuelling my anxiety about Xmas. Even just one hour makes the biggest difference to assisting that feeling.

@Adge

Adge that takes discipline and courage to put yourself out there like that. I hope you get something out of it, a sense of belonging / connection