SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

Forum christmas party! @BlueBay

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@Razzle

This also reminds me of the concept of compassion satisfaction - deriving positive mental health outcomes from helping others

They're a very decent organisation, I hope this helps. And the wishing tree is beautiful, you've inspired me to do the same. Thank you Heart @Razzle

I've already told my extended family that I won't be doing Christmas presents this year.  They understand I am broke.  So I only buy for my son,  mum and sister. 

So that's one financial pressure that's been removed. 

Self care - I think is not forcing the fake smile - the everything is OK face.  It's okay to be me.  I may not be happy all day.  That's OK too. 

I feel really sad tonight just reading these posts of all  the beautiful people who suffer so much over Christmas. I think I need to leave. I’m sorry @Former-Member

thankyou fir a great tslk. Thanks @Robert_Lifeline for being part of this topic tonight. 

Sorry need to leave. 

@BlueBay I hate shopping of any kind, any time of year - but this is the one time I actually browse and make sure I absolutely get it right .

I hope the woman has the same taste a me - usually jewellery.  Buying for a 9yo is getting difficult because I dont

know what they are interested in anymore.  I must look terribly creepy, but I watch kids in the toy aisle to see what they go for.  I actually asked a kid one day if he could have anything, what would it be.  His parents gave me a weird look, I held up the wishing Tree ticket, they smiled - I think they understood.  I also have a

memorial tattoo on my leg so I think this goes a long way to explaining too.

A great example of exercising self care @BlueBay Goodnight Heart

To expand on that point, it may seem counter-intuitive when you are struggling yourself, but directing your attention elsewhere and not getting 'stuck' in your own stuff - in the form of volunteering, or small acts of giving to others, looking out for others etc (smiling to strangers!) can help with one's own mentl health

@BlueBay  Take care

@Robert_Lifeline Compassion satisfaction - haven’t heard of that but it sounds about right 👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance