SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JPEG1998
Senior Contributor

TW: Dealing with a Toxic Mother

My mother will not admit to this, but she is can be an abusive, anxious, controlling perfectionist, resulting in me having to seek counselling now as an adult. She is never content with anything that my father and I do, or have done for her. My mother drinks alcohol excessively, and gambles on the poker machines every weekend. This often results in us fighting nearly every weekend, although lately, I feel that she has been trying to goad or pressure me into giving in to her trouble, just so that she can turn around and tell the world (literally, though social media) that I am a bad person. But I never gave in. I have also tried, 'I feel, because...' statements with this woman (as suggested by my counsellor), although it was useless. I am 25 and my father is 52, and we are still treated like children incapable of completing anything independently of this woman. My mother is also greedy when it comes to money and demands more and more and more money from my father and I, on a weekly/fortnightly basis, resulting in dad hardly ever having any money for himself. My mother has told me point blank that she, 'can do whatever she likes with our money that we give her, because it's board money.' Yeah, well, I am pretty sure that mine and your husband's board money should go towards bills (which part of it does), NOT on your drinking and gambling addiction! I must admit, though, we have never had anything cut off in our house, such as electricity, so I guess she's done something right, there.

My mother suffered from child abuse and neglect growing up, and did not end up seeking help until 2020, where she was diagnosed with PTSD. The only reason as to why she sought help to begin with was due to the fact that there was a man she was working with, doing disturbing things to vulnerable people (this man is now in prison). I think she should have caught help before she even considered in conceiving me, because, still to this day, I have to bear the brunt of it. And so does my father. 

While I completely understand and respect the fact that no mother is perfect, it is getting to the point now where I want no relationship with mine anymore. My mother is 51 and has never held a driver's licence, because she's, 'too scared' to operate a vehicle. While this is understandable, you eventually get over that fear. My God, everyone, when I first started driving, I smashed the car into to house! I have my full licence now and a clean driving record. Mum's fear of driving results in myself or my father (mainly myself as my father works full time) in having to drive my mother EVERYWHERE, be it to work, the shops, or, you guessed it, the pub.

She is also dead against me having the independence to catch the bus to places, because I previously had feelings for a bus driver (who ultimately ended up, a: being an AH towards me, b: losing his job and c: not being good enough for mum based on his age and occupation), but I have rebelled and still do it to this day, even though this man no longer drives buses for a living. I always feel like I have to walk on eggshells around mum, because simply conversing with her or asking her for a simple favour can make her mad. There is a lot of emotional abusive happening in my household, and it's been happening for over two decades, resulting in me developing mental health issues. I remember how she was telling me how she met my father. She told him point blank, (please bear in mind that I don't remember her exact words), 'it's ok if you don't want to be in my child's life, I want a baby, get me pregnant.' She then goes on to get pregnant, has a miscarriage after getting incredibly drunk at a party, and then conceives again to have me. She also had a sip of alcohol when she was pregnant with me, pretending to not realise that she was pregnant with me. Also, at the very back of my baby photo album is a lovely presentation of cannabis leaves! Charming. 

I have shared a lot now, and if you have read this far, THANK YOU. I (hopefully) look forward to hearing from you.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: TW: Dealing with a Toxic Mother

Hey @JPEG1998 ,

Thank you for sharing what you have. It sounds like you have grappled with a lot growing up. Having shared what you have shared, how do you feel?

You are not alone. We are here for you.

Hi @JPEG1998 I am so sorry you are going though this, it's not easy at any age. I know how hard it is to have toxic family, it's both parents for me and they feed off each other to the point that I cut mine out of my life, when they decided to start their BS on my children. Have you tried setting boundaries? you are an adult and are allowed to have a live, you can say no and yes having a horrible mother twist the truth to suit them is annoying, defeating and plain cruel, people that really know and support you will know the truth about who you are. 

Please don't let a toxic person define who you are. 

The blue knot help people with childhood trauma and might be able to help

https://blueknot.org.au/survivors/ 

I'm here if you would like to talk more. 

You are incredibly strong @JPEG1998 your mother’s victim attitude IS toxic and you have been able to identify her behaviour so clearly! 🩷

Hey @tyme 

I feel better after getting that off my chest to a community who will listen and can hopefully understand and share their perspectives. However, I can't help but also feel bad, because my mother has done a lot of amazing things for me. For instance, she has always made sure that I went to school on most days (and got an education), that my clothes were clean, that I had food in my belly, that the bills were (and are) paid for... you know, the basics. But what I really appreciate about my mum, despite what I am currently going through with her, is that she stood right by me when I was being bullied relentlessly in high school, and she was also always, literally ad physically, always there for me when I spent four long stints in the psychiatric wards. And deep down, she really is a genuine, loving mother. I just don't think she really knows how to express herself, or relate to me, emotionally.

So, while the information in my OP is factual, I wanted to share with you (and to the other people who commented on the OP), that my mum is a really good person. 

Hey @Miss-wish ,

I cannot even begin to understand what it would be like to have both parents express toxicity towards you. I share my deepest sympathies with you <3. Please know that you are not alone in this. You have my support 🙂

Do you have friends that you can consider family? I know that my mum refers to her boss as her mum, because they've both shared the same lived experiences. 

Thank You so much for providing me with this link. I'l check it out when I can, and see what it's all about 🙂

I am a strong believer that my mother is toxic from unresolved childhood trauma. Both of her parents are awful people. One of them went to prison due the DV and SA that my mother and her friend experienced, repeatedly. I should really cut my mum some slack, as I can't even imagine the hell her 'father' put her through. Also, she's seeking counselling now, and I must admit, I am really proud of her for doing that.

My father also has unresolved childhood trauma, but unlike my mother, he had/has a mother (my grandmother) who was amazing to him and his siblings (my uncle and aunt), and she continues to be amazing to her now grandchildren, too! Dad is a typical man who was raised in the 70s and 80s, where he had to be tough and hide his emotions. I remember seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist when I was 17, and dad came to one of my appointments. Dad admitted that getting stuff off his chest really helped, and that he liked it!

Sorry, here I go again, going off topic a bit.

Hey @Valiant83 ,

Ah, I seem to articulate myself better with writing rather than orally 🙂 

Thank You.

@JPEG1998 I wasn't just to me, my 2 siblings coped it too. 

It was my father that was abused physically and emotionally as a child and physically abused us, my mother came from a loving family with no abused, she loved blaming my fathers upbringing for everything, including her mind games and emotional abuse. I don't miss the " it's the way your father was brought up" or " I can't help it I've been so sick and under so much stress" she hadn't. 

My parents use my fathers childhood as an excuse to be A-holes, after we moved out they started on the neighbours. Just because someone has come from that background doesn't give them the right to treat people badly.

I got it easy compared to my brother.

Please don't worry about me  😊 I have a couple of people I keep in touch with that understand my complex life. 

Just be aware there is more than just physical, emotional or SA, most don't realise about financial abuse or coercion. there are more but they are the ones I know all too well about. 

It sounds like your mum is using a few different ones.

Oh gosh don't worry about going off topic, I do all the time lol Vent away, vent as much as you want, it well hopefully help you feel better. 

Hey, @tyme , @Miss-wish and @Valiant83 ,

I have some wonderful news to share with you all.

My mum has contacted an alcoholics anonymous service! She has been working diligently to (very slowly) give up alcohol, or at least not consuming as much of it as she was. I am very proud of her, and I really hope that she keeps it up. 

A sense of entitlement some people have is sometimes unreal. The amount of times our family members, who are supposed to be the most trustworthy, end up being mooching amazes me. Though you can still love them from the distant just like you can stand away from a bonfire so you don't burn yourself. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance