SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Parzival
Senior Contributor

Bad dreams

For months I have been having bad dreams and waking up distressed and upset that this is my reality. I feel so defeated

7 REPLIES 7
D1ng0
Senior Contributor

Re: Bad dreams

Hey @Parzival, I'm sorry you're going through that. I can relate to you. I suffer from nightmares and night terrors and they're awful, it can be so draining. Do you have an idea about what could be causing these nighttime issues? If it's daytime depression/anxiety/et cetera, do you have a psychologist or counsellor who can offer support?

Hi @Parzival 

I'm sorry to hear what you have been going through lately.

I am wondering if you have any strategies in place for when you wake up from these dreams/nightmares?

I have bad dreams too and can wake up quite distressed. I find it is hard to get back to sleep when I am feeling this way so need to do some things to calm myself down.

Please know that you are not alone. 

Hi @Parzival,

Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry that you're experiencing these bad dreams, it sounds like it's having quite a negative impact on not only your quality of sleep but also your mental health.

I think @D1ng0 and @Snowie have made some wonderful points in their previous replies. A psychologist or counsellor may be able to help you get to the root of the problem and work with you to develop some coping strategies. Would this be something that you think could help you?

A few years ago when I was having really vivid dreams/nightmares and I asked my GP if I could have something to help me sleep. They made a very good point that it would only be a band aid solution and I should speak to someone about what may be causing this to happen. Which was the best advice I could have been given, because since I faced the issue (with the guidance of a counsellor and a good GP) it is no longer an issue.

I hope that tonight is better for you,

defaultusername

@defaultusername thank you for sharing, I have a psychologist and we’re working through things one bit at a time. Appointments are few though and I work with what I have.

@Snowie @D1ng0 I have no real way of coping with the dreams and when I wake up from them I am depressed. I just get whatever sleep my body lets me 

Hi @Parzival 

I know it is hard to get back to sleep after nightmares but it is possible. Some of the tricks I use are:

Breathing exercises. In for 4 hold for 6 out for 6 (or any combination you want to do)

Progressive muscle relaxation

Sometimes I will get up and make myself a cup of tea and then go back to bed

Writing down my thoughts in a journal

The Calm app

These are just some things I use. Sometimes they work great, sometimes they don't but I get to the stage where anything is worth a try.

Hi @Parzival 

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing the bad dreams.  I know it feels to wake up shaken and disturbed and then not being able to get back to a restful sleep when it is needed.

@Snowiementioned some really good coping strategies in their post.  I also use simiar coping strategies when I need to get back to sleep and use an app called Headspace (which is similar to Calm) that helps me with sleep.

Perhaps you could mention at your next appointment with your psych that you would like to discuss coping strategies to help you after you wake from a bad dream?  They might have some ideas for specific techniques that may work better for you knowing your history /triggers etc?

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

That's good that you're seeing a psychologist @Parzival, hopefully they can help you get to the root of the problem and things start to improve for you soon.

I think @Snowie's suggestions are wonderful and are all great forms of self-care. I also find that doing relaxing things to wind down such as listening to a sleep relaxation or mindfulness app, or simply spraying some lavender onto my pillow can really help. Trying to have a good nightly routine really does help set us up for a better night's sleep, as difficult as it can be at times... it is worth it.

How are you going this week, @Parzival?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

defaultusername

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance