SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

Forum christmas party! @BlueBay

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@Razzle

This also reminds me of the concept of compassion satisfaction - deriving positive mental health outcomes from helping others

They're a very decent organisation, I hope this helps. And the wishing tree is beautiful, you've inspired me to do the same. Thank you Heart @Razzle

I've already told my extended family that I won't be doing Christmas presents this year.  They understand I am broke.  So I only buy for my son,  mum and sister. 

So that's one financial pressure that's been removed. 

Self care - I think is not forcing the fake smile - the everything is OK face.  It's okay to be me.  I may not be happy all day.  That's OK too. 

I feel really sad tonight just reading these posts of all  the beautiful people who suffer so much over Christmas. I think I need to leave. I’m sorry @Former-Member

thankyou fir a great tslk. Thanks @Robert_Lifeline for being part of this topic tonight. 

Sorry need to leave. 

@BlueBay I hate shopping of any kind, any time of year - but this is the one time I actually browse and make sure I absolutely get it right .

I hope the woman has the same taste a me - usually jewellery.  Buying for a 9yo is getting difficult because I dont

know what they are interested in anymore.  I must look terribly creepy, but I watch kids in the toy aisle to see what they go for.  I actually asked a kid one day if he could have anything, what would it be.  His parents gave me a weird look, I held up the wishing Tree ticket, they smiled - I think they understood.  I also have a

memorial tattoo on my leg so I think this goes a long way to explaining too.

A great example of exercising self care @BlueBay Goodnight Heart

To expand on that point, it may seem counter-intuitive when you are struggling yourself, but directing your attention elsewhere and not getting 'stuck' in your own stuff - in the form of volunteering, or small acts of giving to others, looking out for others etc (smiling to strangers!) can help with one's own mentl health

@BlueBay  Take care

@Robert_Lifeline Compassion satisfaction - haven’t heard of that but it sounds about right 👍