SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Carers and the challenges of caring // Continue the discussion here at 8pm

By the way, a reminder that Insight has started on SBS. It's featuring Penny who was just on the Healthy Minds panel, and is addressing 'how families manage severe mental illness?'

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Carers and the challenges of caring // Continue the discussion here at 8pm

Hi @Mazarita, taking the easy part of that question first, I think you manage your role in the forums well.  You recognise when it's not good for you to be here and take a well deserved step back.  You've helped so many of your peers but you need to be in a good place to do that.  We fully support these decisions and want the forums to be a positive place where there is a good balance between giving and receiving support. 

In the forums we also try to keep some social areas and events (like Friday Feast) that people can dip into, connect with friends, without be faced with the more emotional and challenging posts.  Hopefully that still feels like a safe space.

In terms of mutual support when in a relationship with someone with a mental health concern, that's got to be a very fine balancing act.  In order for it to work I'm guessing you have good communication skills and a great deal of love.  It needs flexibility to be able to both give and receive support.  Some relationships develop a dynamic where one person provides all the support but is never allowed to need it.  That's pretty tough if you're the one always giving.

You seem to be making it work @Mazarita, what do you think allows you to do that?

Just watching Insight on SBS now. One of the women is in my local Carers support group

Great to hear that you accessing this support @leitor.  Can I ask how you find it helps?

@suzanne and I will be here for about another 10 minutes or so, but we'll keep this thread open so you can chat amongst yourself about tonight's webinar or Insight program. 

@suzanne I find the Carer's group really helpful, being able to hear so many similar stories and knowing you are not alone in this situation. Advice on finding good professional help and how much it can vary, advice on what is available and what i can expect. The Education sessions where professional come in for a Q&A  have been very informative,  often much more so that the second-hand information from GPs and psychiatrists. 

That's fantastic @leitor.  Sounds like a one-stop shop!

I did post a question on the Webinar, it wasn't addressed no doubt due to lack of time and perhaps being too specific.

@leitor and anyone else who missed out on the survey after tonight's webinar, here is a link to the survey.

That's it from @suzanne and I this evening. It's been a lively and informative tonight both on online and on TV. A busy evening for us Foruminute indeed!

Thanks for all those who participated tonight! And I a mentioned before, this thread will remain open so you can continue to conversation. 

That sounds like excellent advice @leitor.  How frustrating that the Psychiatrist won't get back to you.  Have you explained the nature of the request to the receptionist?  And does you partner agree to this approach?  Because if so, the doctor can send the letter to them so it doesn't need to breach confidentiality. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance