SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: DSP claim

Hi @Cin 

You’re welcome Heart

I’m so pleased that you decided to reach out to the SANE forums Smiley Happy

Sometimes the opportunity to connect with people who share similar experiences to our own, can provide a level of comfort, understanding and support that can be difficult to find elsewhere Heart

Absolutely Heart In my experience, coming to terms with a diagnosis can be incredibly challenging and we can often find ourselves wrestling with so many different emotions such as shock, disbelief, confusion and uncertainty.

As such, I just ever so gently wanted to reassure you that you’re always welcome to share your experiences here with us, as there will be so many people who will be able to relate to what’s happening for you Heart

Also, if you feel that you need some additional support, you’re always welcome to contact the SANE helpline Smiley Happy

I wasn’t too sure if you were familiar with this, but basically, the helpline is staffed by qualified mental health professionals who provide support to people who are living with complex mental health issues. In addition, they also provide support for people who are caring for a loved one who is living with complex mental health issues Heart

I’ve contacted the helpline on several occasions and I’ve always had a really positive experience where I felt supported and understood Smiley Happy

If you would like to contact them, their telephone number is: 1800 18 7263.

They operate Monday to Friday from 10.00am until 10.00pm AEST.

In addition to telephone support, they also provide support via web chat and email.

Sometimes it can be difficult to get through on the telephone, but if this is something that you’re interested in you could always schedule an appointment via their website - that way you can guarantee that you’ll be able to talk with someone on a day that best works for you Heart

I’ve just provided the link to this information, in case this is something that you would like to explore further:

https://www.sane.org/counselling-support

When I was going through the process of applying for the Disability Support Payment, one of the things that really helped me, was setting aside a small amount of time during the week to read through each section of the application Smiley Happy

Through doing so, I was able to pace myself and gather all of the supporting evidence that I needed ahead of time which helped to alleviate some of the pressure!

With this in mind, Centrelink have created a simple flow chart that outlines all of the steps that you need to complete before you lodge your application.

I’ve just provided the link to this information in case this is something that’s helpful for you:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/disability-support-pension/how-...

I can really appreciate your concerns in relation to being able to obtain the necessary medical evidence and when I was completing my application, this was something that I felt incredibly anxious about too.

I also felt concerned that Centrelink would question my medical evidence, as I had only been attending appointments with my Therapist for three months (which equated to a total of six appointments) when I lodged my application.

However, despite the relatively short amount of time that we had been working together, Centrelink accepted the medical evidence provided by my Therapist Smiley Happy

Also, shortly after I submitted my application, I had to participate in an assessment interview with a Clinical Psychologist appointed by Centrelink. I’m not too sure if you’ll be required to participate in any further assessments, but if you are, I’m more than happy to provide you with some support in relation to this part of the process Heart

Please know that you’re more than welcome to reach out to me whenever you need too Heart

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Cin
Senior Contributor

@ShiningStar I am both thankful and overwhelmed by your support and guidance, it really means a lot. ❤️

I have my first appointment with my psychologist on Thursday and found out that he is a clinical psychologist which is a plus. 

Knowing that you have been through this process and that you are willing to guide me lifts my spirits emensly Xx

Hi @Cin 

It was my pleasure Heart

Thank you so much for your beautiful words Heart

I’m so pleased to be able to support you and you’re more than welcome to reach out to me at any time Heart

Please know that I was thinking about you today and hoping that your appointment with your Clinical Psychologist went well Smiley Happy

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Cin
Senior Contributor

Thank you @ShiningStar that really means a lot Xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance