SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Books: Reading for relaxation and enjoyment

Hi All, I love it that my thread has spurred others to share what shakes-their-book-chakras Smiley Very Happy

@SCORPION - Anne MacAffrey! Yes I read her series in my 20's, must revisit so old know I will have forgotten everything! Another author I read in my 20's was Stephen Donaldson - the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, I suspect I wouldn;t like his stuff now because I am a feminist and I recall it wasn't huge on equality!

I Loved Margaret Atwood's books, Ursula Le Guin too (her book "Tehanu" was a catlyst for change for me) - but I have read hugely and different genres. But my odd way of being in the world means I tend to latch on to one author (and genre) and read everything they ever wrote then move on to the next one! Luckily there are a heap of great authors who are prolific!

I read about three books a week. But! I admit to know also being hooked on some TV series - Once Upon A Time and the Adventures of Merlin (I am well into my fantasy fiction jag for sure!) I suspect I secretly wish I could do magic... and make the world a better place.

Just finished one REALLY good book by Kate Forysth - "Bitter Greens", a retelling of the Rapunzel story with deep twists and excellent charectarisations of the court of Louis XIV and 17th century France and the lot of women - one could be either wife, mistress (or sex worker) or nun, and that is it really. I am glad I have lived in the 20th/ 21st century even with all its terrors and woes.  

@Zam - I read many of Stephen Kings books in my 20's too - but I find the graphic violnce disturbing now and I am really sensisitive to 'imagery' - I did read one last year though that I absolutely loved - 11/22/63 about the JFK assasination and the lead character being able to travel back in time and try to change that. 

yes yes @PeterPan78 ! i was an avid Agatha Chrisie reader when i was about 13
@Scorpian and @Gypsy message are sifferent and love their different creativity .... in that @Scorpian reads Ann McCaffery and @Gypsy is in touch with what can handle
......i think i would rather watch dvd myself..... crowds are not me.
Ann McCaffery is intellectual ....isnt she : i just remember trying to read one of her books @Scorpian ........

Hi readers @PeppiPatty@SCORPION@Gypsy@Terry@Peter_Pan78 (and adding in @Silenus in case you are a bibliophile too).

Just saw this interesting article about *BIBLIOTHERAPY...  I knew we were all on to something healing and helpful!

Ask a bibliotherapist: how books can help soothe troubled minds

*Internet definition =

bibliotherapy
noun

1. the use of books as therapy in the treatment of mental or psychological disorders.

I am lucky in having a community library around the corner from me. I have always read, but as a young teen read The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings....which I adored! Also read Beowulf, as many of the Icelandic Sagas as were available. I discovered poetry and haiku, which led me to read the classics, and such books as Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia, Gloriana, the Pillow Book of a Japanese Lady ( I forget the writers name).

Ann McCaffrey was a favoured author, I read one of Thomas Covenant , but as I had nursed lepers by this stage found the books uncomfortable. Space opera and sci fi are favoured genres, I also enjoy some detective books, but I am very very fond of historical naval fiction, audio books etc. 

i collect children's books....I have the Billabong books written at the beginning of the 20th century which are very dated indeed. Currently, I am reading a British author known as BB who also illustrated his books.

@MoonGal thanks for including me in your bibliophile discussion I am most certainly a bibliophile and proud of it.

I totally believe in bibliotherapy. Helps keep me "well" and helped me to find information that supported my gut feeling that I was not weird or abnormal. The most important thing I discovered in my reading is that not everybody regards mental illness to be an obstacle but instead "a natural, normal way our mind reacts to stress." I finally felt like I was finally understood when I read this, that I was not alone in thinking that mental "illness" had been poorly defined and viewed for such a long time. Books have been a great friend to me.

Hiya @MoonGal 🙂

I'm definitely a bibliophile. I've got over a thousand books in my personal collection...

Having said that, I don't read much these days. As a writer, most of my therapy comes from the process of writing rather than reading.

I tend to flip between being an alpha writer and an alpha reader... giggle... 🙂

@Neb - I love my Library too - I have just counted up the books I have read in the past 12 months and it now stands at 53, so I do about a book a week or so! I order titles on line from all over our State's library network, so can get just about any title. It's fab and well worth paying rates just for this alone! I read Thomas Covenant books in my 20's I was not particularly discerning back then about misogyny, I picked up Thomas Covenant again thinking to re-read them last year and hated it - his use and portrayal of women left me cold. I also read Anna McAffrey in my 20s (30 odd years ago now!) they are the Dragons aren;t they of , ummm Pern? I love kids books too - My fav are Winnie the Pooh and the velveteen Rabbitt. I sometimes read series written for teens -

Like recently Julliette Marriellier's
Shadowfell Series
- Shadowfell
- Raven Flight
- The Caller

I too loved Lord of the Rings. So glad you chimed in Neb. ❤️

@Silenus- I am surrounded by books, back when I had an income I would buy books regulary. I used to work in a bookshop and we could take books home and have them deducated from our wage (at a big discount) One week I went to collect my pay and I owed then $20! LOL. Books are friends to me.

Hahaha @MoonGal ... owing them $20... that's gold!

I would have done that too...

Wow @Neb - fellow space opera tragic here... E. E. Doc Smith's Lensman series is one of my all-time faves...

I love the Dune series by Frank Herbert, and the Saga Of The Exiles by Julian May. I've read them all multiple times...

@Silenus - OMG! Dune by Frank Herbet I read them in Sydney in the '80's when I was sleeping rough, I found a great little second hand book shop that would let me swap the finished one for the next in the series (for nothing! and they would always give me a cup of coffee, good people). I remember very little of the series (being a period of my life that I was off the planet for a couple of years), maybe if I run out of things to read I can start them again. Thanks for the reminder!

Dune was a truly amazing book. It was written in 1965 (from memory), and has one of the greatest pieces of Mindfulness I have ever read. The Litany Against Fear, quoted below...

"I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain."

Another version states: "I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once."

I would recommend everyone who has anxiety or worry issues to read this and take it to heart. It is a truly beautiful thing, and it has helped me in my life...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance