SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

CogsWhirl
Contributor

Wondering what to do

HI All,

I have PTSD and with that, anxiety and all that comes with it.  In one way I just need to vent and by writing this hope that I can get back on the right path again.  But I am also looking for suggestions that you might have to get out of a rut.

At the beginning of the year my Psychologist and I reached the conclusion that I was doing good and that I knew what to do to get myself through the day. I had been seeing her for years and it felt right to end the sessions because I was confident that I had the techniques and the knowledge to make myself OK.

My Psychologist had emailed me various resources to use and I was working on them. I was also  doing things like journalling and drawing, some meditation, reaching out to friends and family.  When I had bad days, I was thinking this will pass and next week will be better.  I had given up smoking and drinking and I felt confident that I had worked myself out and things were going to get better. 

But I seem to have fallen back into the pattern of being scared and depressed and not feeling to good about myself again.  I don't seem to have the energy/inclination to get back into using those techniques that I was taught to make myself feel better.  At the same time, I don't want to go back into therapy, because I know what I need to do already.  I just need to do it.   I know things like lockdowns and all that don't help, but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about getting back on track.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Re: Wondering what to do

Hi @CogsWhirl 

Firstly I have never spoken to you before so it is nice to meet you. I hope you find the support and advice you are looking for here.

I probably don't have much advice for you but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and well done for writing this. I think that is probably the first step and one of the hardest. To identify that you are having problems is a major step.

One thing I do is to write down things. I write down how I am feeling, I write down things I want to get done and I write down things I am thankful for. I find that if they are written down and I can see them right in front of me that it helps. 

I also try and do something for myself each day too. It can be going for a walk with my dog, to watching some tv, to listening to some music. Even if it is only a small thing, but at least you are putting you first.

Sorry that I don't have much advice for you. I am sure others will respond soon. I really just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that we hear you. Please keep reaching out.

Take care of you and I hope you have a good day. 💜💜💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance