SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

I can't sleep

I can't sleep. I'm upset and annoyed. I've had a weird, bothersome evening. 

I've had a shower, and washed my hair, and I have taken some Blackmores Tranquil Night. I'm in my pyjamas in bed with my hot water bottle under my feet and and my Pug beside me. It isn't a cold night but I thought my hot water bottle might help me relax.

I would have had a cup of warm soy milk but my microwave has just stopped working. 

I'm going to listen to some relaxing music now.

Sorry this is such an uninteresting post. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: I can't sleep

Okay, I'm starting to feel sleepy now.

@Arizona  But you just needed to feel connected.  I know the feeling.  Take care.

Thank you @Historylover 

I have gotten my 'new' microwave to work now. It's second hand. A friend gave it to me five years ago. My trusty Sharp Carousel microwave of 21 years stopped working last night.

It isn't as powerful as my old microwave but it does the job and it's an inverter microwave 👍

Good to hear you sounding brighter today @Arizona.  I'm still in the dark ages re microwaves: inverter???  I've never had one.  I think my new kitchen may have a compartment for one and I was going to use it to house my recipe books, but maybe I'll get a microwave?  You seem not to be able to do without one so I'm assuming you recommend them.  I thought I would rather have a coffee machine.  Do you have one of those too?  I only use my espresso stove-top 'thing' and froth milk to turn it into a cappuccino.  Without a kitchen at the moment, I have resorted to instant cappuccino and was surprised at the taste - but every time I look at the ingredients in my cup, I wonder what is in it to make a frothy? top.  So today I bought instant.  Can't get anything like a coffee flavour out of it.  Do you use beans?  If so, which brand do you use?  I've tried all sorts but just can't get it to taste 'like a bought one'. 

Perhaps a longer lockdown in Melbourne.  When will my unit get back to normal?  Are you in Melbourne or Victoria?  Hope today has been a good one for you, @Arizona.

Hi @Historylover 

I don't drink coffee; I drink tea. I used to like coffee but I don't any more. The coffee beans brand I used to buy was called Lavazza. 

An inverter microwave heats in a more even, efficient way compared to the older style of microwaves. That's all I know.

A microwave is essential for me because of the way I like to make my tea. I buy organic tea and it's expensive. With a microwave I can make a larger amount of tea and heat it up throughout the day. 

I'm in regional Victoria.

I guess I'll have to ask about to get others' opinions on the best coffee as well.  I have never tried Lavazza.  Perhaps it will take first priority when I get my kitchen back.  I think it is more top shelf.  I'll just have to treat myself.

I'm a tea drinker too.  I have black, green, camomile, ginger and lemon, and a berry tea at the moment.  I try to vary them but am trying to reduce my tannin intake for health reasons - but it is in everything I like.  I used to be able to get loose leaf green tea and it was so much better.

You will be pleased to be out of lockdown!  Take care.  You are sounding well today.

@Historylover 

Lavazza was very popular in Melbourne cafes. I don't know if it still is. You could go online and look up "best coffee brands voted by Melbourne cafes" or something like that. 

My favourite herbal tea is Nerada Lemon & Ginger.

I also make my own homemade chai with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, star anise and a vanilla bean. I make it once a week. I'm about to make it now.

@Historylover 

I'm pleased to be out of lockdown. The only thing is, I can't pick up my bike because it's in Melbourne. I have to wait another week.

Yes, I'm feeling better today. I woke up in a horrible state of depression and anxiety but it's gone now.

Hi @Historylover @and @Arizona

sorry you were going through a rough time again @Arizona . However I'm glad you connected again with @Historylover. Hugs again to you and your pug. @Historylover 

I am a coffee drinker. I recently bought myself a dulce gusto genio s coffee maker and it makes a mean cappuccino. I buy the Starbucks dulce gusto capsules which I think have a nice flavour. I also have a chocolate shaker and stencils to give the chocolate finish on top. Good glasses such as the double walled latte glasses keep the coffee warm but are cool to touch. I would make you one if I could so you could try it and see if you liked it. Sorry I can't. My parents love the machine too. My mother's favourite is the latte and my father's favourite is the flat white. The machine automatically does the milk frothing for you. You can also buy the small biscuits to put on the side such as those by Byron bay. Alternatively a coffee plunger isn't bad. It can make a decent espresso. 
lost 9

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance