SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Fredd50
Senior Contributor

Introducing a great peak body for human rights: People with Disabilities Australia

Sometimes people with psychosocial disability don't realise that the recognition of various

pschosocial difficulties that people may experience in life including severe distress, trauma

or any other form of suffering that can temporarily or otherwise impeed a persons' ability to function as a disability makes us a part of the wider disability community.

People with Disabilities Australia is one of the leading Australian peak bodies (or representative bodies) for people with disabilities and anyone with a disability can join.

Sometimes getting involved in the wider disability community can help people gain a wider understanding of their rights and how to be able to access them and participate in legal reforms and protections to ensure that rights and services improve into the future.

PWDA is a great place to go for information about rights - and to look for an understanding of what they are under current law - as well as where we have rights under international human rights treaties that have been ratified by the Australian government, but which are still needing to result in legal changes - so that we can realise sometimes if we feel a law is unjust and harmful - sometimes we might find out that is a law that Australia has already indirectly promised to change by ratifying an international human rights treaty  - and we might be able to participate in legal reform to get that changed 

It's also a great place to go for support and advocacy in reporting to the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse and Exploitation of persons with disability -  just because a health service provider or even a legislator might represent a practice as "standard", "legal" or "necessary", and that it might be something that seems to happen almost everywhere to almost everyone, or that some people report they find the practice helpful - that does not mean that the practice is not abusive if you found it harmful and you didn't feel you could refuse or get away, or weren't given the opportunity to provide informed consent, refuse that practice, or have access to any reasonable alternatives that didn't harm you (so you had to eg. choose between no support or some support that also included practices you found harmful). One of the most important aspects of systemic abuse is that it does unfortunately become standard, or even legal practice. 

https://pwd.org.au/resources/disability-faqs/student-section/human-rights-violations/

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Introducing a great peak body for human rights: People with Disabilities Australia

This is a great reference point for the rights of People with Disabilities Australia.

However further investigation leads to NSW as point of contact.

Does Sane have a reference point within useful resources for assistance within  all states of Australia?

@Former-Member 

Thank you

Sophia

Re: Introducing a great peak body for human rights: People with Disabilities Australia

Hey @Sophia1  let me look into this for you 🙂 😄 

thank you @nashy 

much appreciated

Hey there @Sophia1  is this link helpful at all? Also would recommend giving our help centre a call too on 1800 18 7263. They might have some further referrals 🙂 They are 10am-10pm AEST weekdays!

Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me @nashy 

Not what I am looking for though..

In fact it has taken up many hours over a period of time..

I did eventually speak to someone who took me seriously and listened carefully....

He knew exactly where I was coming from and actually gave me some lovely feedback re my persistence and determination..suggesting that I take my mission higher up the ladder...

Sadly like most carers I no longer have the energy..

plodding along still does bring results though..

I am also a firm believer in receiving answers from places that one does not expect and different answers that lead to new openings..

Thank you for your efforts much appreciated..

Hey @Sophia1 so glad to hear you connected with someone who provided some support as well as ideas on escalating the issues. I am sorry to hear you're feeling emotionally fatigued with it all, but also very understandable. The community is always here to listen as you need Heart 

Thank you @nashy 

That is one major fact that I gleamed after reading so many  words of others..

The mind if allowed to can certainly deplete our energy and leave us fatigued emotionally and physically.

I just have to remind myself of the fact.

Thank you 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance