SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Geoff Gallop on MI

GEOFF GALLOP & MI
Geoff Gallop reflects on decision to quit WA politics & attitudes towards MI
by Eliza Ladc

A Labor Premier Geoff Gallop looks at the camera and smiles.

More than a decade ago, Geoff Gallop stood in front of a packed media conference and told West Australians he was standing down as premier to receive treatment for depression.

"Living with depression is a very debilitating experience which affects different people in different ways," Dr Gallop said that day in January 2006.

"My doctors advised me that with treatment, time and rest this illness is very curable.

"However, I can't be certain how long that will take — so in the interests of my health and my family I've decided to rethink my career."

West Australian Premier Geoff Gallop speaks at a media conference flanked by wife Bev and son Leo with his cabinet behind him.

Knowing he could not do the job he loved and serve the state he loved in the way he wanted to, Dr Gallop walked away from 20 years in state politics.

These days, he reflects on the decision as a simple one..

In the lead up to that day, Dr Gallop's depression had mounted — but it was hard to recognise.

"I just didn't think about it in those terms, but the fact is I did need treatment and it did work," Dr Gallop said.

The happy and healthy former politician has since become an emeritus professor at the University of Sydney, but admits to missing politics.

"I'm not there, being able to contribute to the public policy debate right there where the laws are made, that's disappointing obviously," he grinned.

Stigma still adding to pain: Gallop
Dr Gallop returned to Perth on Friday to address a 1,000-strong crowd at a two-day mental health conference.

Later, he reflected on the progress in society's attitude towards mental health since his own public admission.

Former WA premier Geoff Gallop gestures with his fist as he speaks at a conference.

"The general knowledge of this issue has improved — but of course, you can have more knowledge about something without necessarily having a better attitude towards it," Dr Gallop said.

"There are still elements of stigma that are very debilitating.
"It's adding to the pain that people have … and it's preventing people from seeking out treatment."

Dr Gallop said that stigma often led governments to make other areas of health a bigger priority.

"In the health system, there's lots of other interests — emergency departments, hospital beds," he said.

"One of the problems with stigma, of course, is it tends to be not treated as seriously as it should be."

Breaking down those stigmas, especially when it came to government, was vital, Dr Gallop said.

"There's a social aspect to all of this that can only be addressed through politics and law and policy," he said.

Dr Gallop put progress down to a couple of key areas — programs delivering support, and connection with the community.

"We need really good programs on the ground that are delivering results," Dr Gallop said.
"[And] we need understanding and empathy.

"As the empathy level rises, there's more understanding in society about what you need to do to address it."

ABC NEWS 2017
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance