SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // When caring for parents // Tues 24 Sep, 7pm AEST

TT Carers Tile.jpg

One in five adults live with mental illness, as such it is a very genuine reality that many of the children of those living with mental health challenges have had to assume the “parenting role” in the dynamic.

Caring for parents can at times be a challenging and complex experience, but on the flip there’s a lot of growth and insight that comes from supporting a parent with mental health challenges. Join us for this event as we discuss some different strategies and support options for those affected by parents living with mental illness.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the thumbs up (support) button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Topic Tuesday // When caring for parents // Tues 24 Sep, 7pm AEST

Heya All! Welcome to tonight's Carer's Event 😄  @Crimnerd @Razzle  @Determined @Adge @Shaz51 @Sally 
Tonight we are talking about caring for parents with mental health challenges, and some of the experiences that arise when the roles are flipped; especially as an adult child of someone with a complex mental health diagnosis.

This evening I’ll share some prompting questions to get the conversation flowing for us to share our insights. These events are great opportunities to learn from each other as we go 🙂

Will kick off with question one in a few moments.

😄 Hello @Shaz51 so lovely to see you tonight!

Okay crew for anyone who feels like jumping in 🙂

We often hear it from carers, and also in her research, Lynne McCormack, a psychologist from the University of Newcastle, Australia, found that there are positive attributes that recovering adults who have been raised by parents with mental health issues gain.

What do you think some of the strengths and skills someone might gain by caring for a parent with mental health issues?

Thanks @Shaz51

How is everyone?  I'm exhausted.

Welcome @Sally  🙂 Heart

hello saw this was happening tonight

best thing is i am very adaptable - we had to adapt to change so much throughout my life. as an adult i can adapt to changes in others very quickly

@nashy 

@Tru3man  @Star321 @Ledy 

@ElsaDawn 

Tonight's "topic Tuesday" might interest you.

Hey there @Former-Member. Yeah definitely, that resonates a lot. It feels very adjacent to resilience too :). Adaptability is a strength we should nurture Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance