SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Comfort in chaos: Looking after yourself and others during challenging times // Tues 30th June, 7-8.30pm AEST

image.png

There has been a fair bit of chaos that has been happening in the world lately. Adapting to isolation, then adapting to the world opening up again has been anxiety-provoking for a lot of people. On top of that, the situation in the US is distressing and news and social media are flooded with constant information and reminders. We wanted to create an event to provide opportunity to connect with one another, focusing on strategies to help keep our own personal-world's positive and safe during this tricky time. Join us on Tuesday the 30th as our 1.5 hour event kicks off at 7pm AEST with the wonderful @Jupiter and Community Guides @frog and @jem80 as co-hosts! Smiley Very Happy

Until our event, check out this great resource from Headspace App, co-founder and former Buddhist monk, Andy Puddicombe, on how to navigate our emotional health during big world events - 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' (thumbs up) button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic. The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

We'd encourage you to engage in this event on a desktop computer/laptop, as we need to refresh the browser page quite frequently, sometimes this can be tricky on mobile!

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEST- 7pm
  • ACDT- 6:30pm
  • ACST- 5:30pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

97 REPLIES 97

Re: Topic Tuesday // Comfort in chaos: Looking after yourself and others during challenging times // Tues 30th June, 7-8.30pm AEST

Thank you for joining us – All are welcome but I am tagging members who supported the previous post in order to receive a reminder - @Adge @Beanpole @NickyRG @Everan @Judi9877 @Shaz51 @Maggie @Snowie @Fluttershy1 @BlueBay @NatureLover 

Welcome to tonight’s event – Comfort in chaos: Looking after yourself and others during challenging times. We will be discussing the impact current world events are having on our wellbeing, and sharing ways we can take care of ourselves and each other in this chaotic time. Hopefully, by the end of the discussion you will feel a sense of solidarity from hearing others’ experiences, and have learned some strategies to take away with you.

So grab a cuppa and settle in! Remember to refresh your browser every few minutes to see new posts, and be sure to hit the reply button to posts to get involved in the discussion too!

Cat.jpg

My name is Jupiter and I am one of the moderators on the SANE Forums. You may have seen me around over the past few years. My favourite thing about working for SANE is the value it places on the perspective of those with a lived experience, and how it incorporates this into the work it does. Outside of work I love finding new little cafes to try out and pottering around with some arts and crafts.

I am lucky enough to have two co-hosts joining me tonight - @jem80 and @frog. Jem80 and frog are both Community Guides here on the SANE Forums and do an amazing job fostering a warm and inclusive forums space. I will now invite them both to introduce themselves, and then we will get the discussion rolling with a few prompts from me!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Comfort in chaos: Looking after yourself and others during challenging times // Tues 30th June, 7-8.30pm AEST

Hi @Jupiter and @jem80 

Hope you can join us @Adge @Beanpole @NickyRG @Everan @Judi9877 @Shaz51 @Maggie @Snowie @Candydipper1 @BlueBay @NatureLover and any forum folk interested,

My name is frog and I first came to the Sane Lived Experience Forum nearly 3 years ago at a particularly difficult point in my life. My first post began: ‘Any advice and suggestions about how to stay grounded and do self care much appreciated’, so self care in difficult times has been a bit of a theme for me. It was a relief to find the forum because I don’t have to pretend if things are going pear-shaped, as they do. I found the acceptance here life changing and I became a community guide a bit over a year ago because I wanted to give back to this amazing community. I like tea, and chai, trees and rain.

@Jupiter Thanks for the introduction!

I enjoy been a community guide to help and support you all on the forums and to assist the moderators. Outside of work I love doing art and I have just started knitting!

I love my cuppa tea and you will often in the past find me in T2 tea tasting! My most interesting tea that I picked up lately from Neo Tea Australia: https://neoaustralia.com.au

was a Bewitching Blue Tea which starts out blue and turns purple when you add citrus lemon! I love my blue tea for its calming effects and I love having a different colour to the normal tea.

hello @Jupiter@frog@jem80 Heart

Hi @Jupiter @frog @jem80

Hi everyone.

I've been a member of Sane Forums for 3 & 1/2 years.

Adge

Hi all @Shaz51 @frog @jem80 @Jupiter 

Hey @jem80 and @frog Smiley Happy

Great to have you here @Shaz51@Adge, @Fluttershy1 and @Snowie @NatureLover I see you there too! Welcome aboard!

Hi @Shaz51 @Fluttershy1

The chaos for me has been losing my job suddenly (being made Redundant) 6.5 weeks ago.

That has impacted my well-being (hammered it) far more than these world events.

I've not been able to picke myself up, or set a new direction (yet).

Adge

@Adge @Welcome to tonight's topic.

Sit back with a cuppa and relax.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance