SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

MoonGal
Senior Contributor

Books: Reading for relaxation and enjoyment

Are there any other reading fans here?

Although reading is a solitary pursuit. Smiley Happy I enjoy reading spending time with the characters in books, they are undemanding and don't talk back. I love series of books where characters grow and learn and their whole life stories are told. So I do get fully immersed with my "book friends" as my partner calls them.

I read a lot, I feel very grateful and privileged to live very close to a great library where I can order just about any book online and have it transferred in. I am currently enjoying the fantasy genre again after a 20 year hiatus. I have immersed in just about any genre though over the years.

Anyone else a Fantasy Genre Fan? What books and genres do you like? Any reccomendations?

Here's a list of Fav books I am reading now or have read recently.

I love the metaphors in fantasy and learn a lot from really good writers both in writing style, but also life lessons. Nothing is ever easy for the heroes and heroines of these stories - kind of like real life really.

Currently reading this series by

Kate Forsyth

Witches of Eileanan

• Dragonclaw (currently on)
  • The Pool of the Two Moons
  • The Cursed Towers 
  • The Forbidden Land
  • The Skull of the World 
  • The Fathomless Cave

Just finished last week

Sara Douglass

The Wayfarer Redemption

• Sinner
• Pilgrim 
• Crusader 

The Crucible

• The Nameless Day
• The Wounded Hawk
• The Crippled Angel

Since January have read all of Robin Hobb's series.

These series all relate in some way to the others, it’s an astoundingingly huge world and body of work she creates. I loved them all. 

The Farseer Trilogy

• Assassin’s Apprentice
  • Royal Assassin
  • Assassin’s Quest

Liveship Traders Trilogy

• Ship of Magic
  • Mad Ship
  • Ship of Destiny

The Tawny Man Trilogy

• Fool’s Errand
  • Golden Fool
  • Fool’s Fate

The Rain Wild Chronicles

• Dragon Keeper
  • Dragon Haven
  • City of Dragons
  • Blood of Dragons

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy

• Fool’s Assassin
  • Fool’s Quest 
  • Next not yet published.

The Forest Mage Series 
  • Shaman’s Crossing
  • Forest Mage
  • Renegade’s Magic
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Books: Reading for relaxation and enjoyment

Love reading and enjoy some but by no means all fantasy.

Currently on book five of the Malazan Empire books. Huge EPIC books, and very well written by Steven Erikson.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Kingkiller books by Patrick Rothfuss, the prose is just beautiful. And of course Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, and even more so Nation.

In general I like speculative fiction and SciFi more than fantasy, but I read a lot and will give just about any genre a go.

Oh more on the fantasy side, I absolutely love Anne Bishop's novels about The Blood, and The Others. I reread those regularly. And Richard K Morgan, The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands... I think there is a third one the title of which I have forgotten. He does SciFi too, but these ones are fantasy.

And everyone should read the NeverEnding Story, BOTH parts. The second half is incredible and not part of the movie. Michael Ends. He also wrote a lovely YA novel called Momo that I loved as a kid.

There's a lot of enjoyable Anne McCaffrey work out there, I rather preferred the Crystal Singer stuff, but also like almost all of the Pern books.

And Elizabeth Scarborough, Songs of the Seashell Archives. Loved those. 

And Robin McKinley's remained fairly tales, especially Beauty.

And I like some of David Gemmel.

OK yeah, I guess I do like a fair bit of fantasy!

Oh brill - I had not heard of Malazan or Kingkiller and Anne Bishop. Have captured the titles in my TO READ list. LOL! Yes you have read a fair bit 'o' fantasy afterall. I have never read the Neverending story (one or two) either will pop that on the list. I read Anne McAffrey back in the 90's but haven't revisited her recently. Have captured all the authors here to investigate thanks @chookmojo

Absolute top fantasy novels that were lifechangers for me were Ursula LeGuin's The Wizard of Earthsea, and her "Tehanu"

PS: I had never heard of the genre "Speculative Fiction" until you said it. We can learn something new every day eh?

image.jpgThis is what I'm reading at the moment. Shantaram. It's shaping up to be one of my favourite books ever. 

@grubbytoes I hadn't heard of Gregory Roberts before - have added "Shantaram" to my 'must read' list. thanks!

I'm reading the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander Mc Call Smith. 

@Sienna - I love Alexander McCall Smith, specially the Ladies No 1 series, his Isabel Dalhousie novels (kind of a mix between philosophy and detective story) are great too. Enjoy!

I friend recently gave me "Cordelia's Honour" by Lois Mc Master.  It was fun ... reading modern outlooks written into the heroine ... but still the girl wants to be swept off her feet .....

I loved The Earthsea Trilogy and early SF

but had not been able to justify reading books for fun ... worked as Bookclub Co-ordinator and had 5 groups whose book of the month I had to keep up with ... bloody hell ... more fun for me PLEEZ Woman Happy

Have to agree that McCall Smith's novels are wonderful, always feel good after reading his books and find them very beneficial to my mood. Love books in general and would be lost without my local library. So many good book recomendations here, I will have to expand my horizons... Regards Gypsy

@MoonGal wrote:
@Sienna - I love Alexander McCall Smith, specially the Ladies No 1 series, his Isabel Dalhousie novels (kind of a mix between philosophy and detective story) are great too. Enjoy!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance