SANE Online Forums

Saving Lives. Crisis Support. Suicide Prevention.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

NooneSpecial
Casual Contributor

Re: What is borderline personality disorder (BPD)?

Ive lived with this forever. Im 61. My life is pretty much a mess of one emotional drama to the next with periods of calm between the madness. Years of therapy & in therapy now has not helped me achieve balance

Every day I fight with thoughts of suicide.

Ive been divorced twice & have been living alone for 8 years now. I haven't worked since then either & survive on DSP and renting a home in the private market. I worry how long I can manage this & have other health issues as well. I basically feel very old & worn out by it all. The living bit. 

I try very hard everyday just to cope with the basic necessities and its exhausting.

Yet I look wonderful apparently. 

Nobody really knows me, I hardly even know myself anymore. I don't have any close friends as I can't trust people.

This sux. But I'm still here. Most days I'm not sure why I bother. It seems my life is pointless, but my dog loves me and so does my son who keeps in touch with me. He's wonderful.

That's my story. 

9 REPLIES 9

@NooneSpecial 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. And welcome to the forum. You will find the people here to be friendly, warm, welcoming and supportive. If you put @ a drop box will appear you can tag members or type @ and then type in members if they don't appear in the drop box. 

I don't think you're alone in how you feel and hopefully overtime you can build yourself back up. I too have trust issues and I think many people do. Perhaps trying to understand why you do, might be a good place to start. In saying that, I don't think its wise or sensible to trust everyone though. But a lot of trust issues come from our past experiences and our level of self esteem too. 

I am glad you have your beautiful dog and son in your life. You seem to express yourself well and are quite articulated in your thought processes. I hope you can find peace, friendship and adventure in your life . Btw have you had a physical, to see if there is underlying cause for your fatigue etc? One step at a time and believe in yourself. 

Hi @NooneSpecial - it sounds like you've been through a lot, and have coped and survived- so already from that, I think you are someone special Smiley Happy

I hope you find the Forums a supportive place to be Heart You might be interested in saying hi to the community over at this thread: Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script 

I'll also check in with you by email as I'm concerned for your wellbeing Heart

@NooneSpecial 

Hello  NooneSpecial

The issues that you are dealing with are obviously long standing and I can appreciate that they give you considerable reason for reflection and concern.

By giving you background on issues that I face and are similar to yours, I hope that you might feel less alone in dealing with those concerns. I hope that you, I and other members will be able to discuss the issues and in doing so, may provide some clarity in what must seem like a very unfocussed and disorganised, even chaotic situation.

The diagnosis of the psychological issues that I deal with constantly are depression and, although I am no longer being treated for it, ADHD.

The word stoicism has come up recently during counselling. It is possibly because of this that I have not had other diagnosis(es) despite counselling over the period of many years. Hence your question about BPD, and other possibilities, rings bells for me.

I have been informed that my father had been diagnosed as having bipolar disorder, which has been another possibility to be considered. However, that has not been identified earlier in my life, and at this stage I would question the benefit of doing other than simply living the best life that I can, under the present medical/psychological regime.

I can certainly say that my experience with this SANE website and forum, since I re-activated my membership earlier this year, has been very useful as a resource for my own benefit as well, I hope, as an opportunity to contribute to others in a meaningful and purposeful way.

Your story about your life sounds eerily like my own. The differences being:

• that I am fortunate in having my own home. However, even that can be difficult at some stages with the various costs and maintenance factored in.

• Your son is represented by my eldest daughter for me.

• My Mum lived with me for about ten years before she passed away 2 years ago. That was a very special time for me and, I believe, for my mother.

The similarities in connection with the events and circumstances that you have described about your life are:

• My daughter and her young son visit me from time to time. Those visits are, as you no doubt experience with your son, very special to me.

• I have questioned, in fairly strong terms, the 'value', meaning and purpose of my life, and considered whether it would be better not to remain here. It is the potential for significant negative effects on my children, even those with whom I have had little contact, that has quashed the occasional ideas of suicide, nearly as quickly as they have appeared.

• I was born in 1950, so am in the same age bracket, though a little older than you.

• Two broken marriages

• I can certainly identify with the idea of “one emotional drama to the next with periods of calm between the madness”

• I received DSP support, for physical and psychological reasons, before qualifying for the age pension.

• I have not had a companion-partner for thirty years, in part, because I was conscious of the turbulent nature of my life, and was not comfortable asking someone else to cope with that 'drama'. Previous relationship experiences have made me very wary of possible future difficulties.

• While there have been very rewarding experiences in my work life I have had significant difficulties in maintaining an adequate level of balance and equilibrium in my personal activities at my work places.

• The feeling of being “very old & worn out by it all” certainly connects for me. I have had three fusion and laminectomy operations on my back, the first being about twenty years ago. While the operations have enabled me to remain independently mobile, the cause, being stenosis of the spine, has severely limited my physical capacity.

• Like you, it seems that I present reasonably well, considering my circumstances. I actually want this to be so, because it is my wish not to project negatives to other people. However, in connection with the “very old & worn out” feelings, I am becoming ever more conscious of my reducing capacity to care adequately for myself.

• There are people of whom I am very wary, but I don't have a sense of generalised distrust of people. This is probably because I have participated in social and community activities in the small town in which I have lived for the past twelve years.

• I have tried to live an adequate and meaningful life as an independent person. To do this, I have, for the most part, kept the unpleasant aspects of my life history, pretty much to myself.

• I have a lovely Kelpie/Labrador dog, that is a great companion.

I have detailed the issues that I face, and the pleasant aspects of my life, in the hope that you may feel, at least, some reassurance that I and other people have and are going through a similar process of sorting out the reasons for various aspects of our lives.

If you would like to discuss any of those aspects that are common to us, or any other issues, I would be happy to discuss them with you.

With My Very Best Wishes

HenryX

PS: These are a few notes that may help you initially to negotiate some of the functions of the forum site:

• Tagging:

• To alert a person or draw their attention to a message that you have posted, you add the @ symbol in front of their forum name. Forum name = NooneSpecial : Forum address = @NooneSpecial 

• For example; I would flag your attention by adding anywhere into a message @NooneSpecial  , as I have done at the beginning of this message to you. You would tag me by adding @HenryX any where in a message that you wanted me to be aware of. When you click the @ symbol while in the "Reply" box, a drop down menu will offer the names of the people who have responded to messages in the thread. Select any, or as many people as you would like, to alert them to your message.

• Near the top right side of the forum page, the word “NEW” is placed to the right of “Guidelines & Info”. Left-clicking on the word “NEW ” will take you to the “Your Notifications” page where messages relating to you, or in which you have been interested, are shown, in the following way:

@ Anastasia mentioned you in
    Re: newbie.”

• To access the message, left-click on the thread title, which in this example is:

Re: newbie” which will then take you to the messages on that thread.

• Scrolling up or down will enable you to view all the messages on that thread.
  • A number in a circle, adjacent to the word “NEW 4” (as in point 3. above) will alert you that there are that number of messages, where other forum members have “tagged” you.

• Initially, there were quite a few functions, on the forum site, that I took a while to get to know about or get used to. So, please be comfortable about asking any questions about processes that you may wish to know how to, or know more about.

Best Wishes

HenryX

Thankyou for that

I had pneumonia in April & ended up in hospital and I think Im still getting over that which probably explains also why Ive been tired & glum.

@HenryX thankyou for all of your response, that is so helpful to hear from someone similar age and similar experiences. Its definitely better than feeling like all alone on this planet, just me and my head.

Thankyou Henry, for the hope. And for your time in that reply 😊🙏

Hi @NooneSpecial ,

Great you could join us here. I've lived with BPD for my entire adult life. I was diagnosed in my late teens.

It has been an immense emotional roller coaster. However, I can stand here before everyone today to declare that BPD has made me a much better person. Through having to tackle suicidal ideation, depression, SH, anger, hatred etc head on, I've come out a far more understanding person. 

@NooneSpecial , sometimes, all you need to do is hold on. You don't need to strive, don't need to fight, don't need to find a solution... just let the emotions come and go.

This photo is from my front yard today... as beautiful as it appears, as beautiful as it disappears.... just like our thoughts and emotions.

C3E2E7F5-4DDC-4D12-B251-402F386EF7A5.jpeg

Hugs, BPDSurvivor

Talk to me or chat. Day to day can feel the same but life is astonishing sometimes. Also, amaze a friend by being REAL too them. Disclosure can be instant personal accountability. You measure it, and your friends will also. Be true

@Muchangst 

Hello @Muchangst ,

I noticed your "Support" on the "What is borderline personality disorder (BPD)?" post by @NooneSpecial . It's possible that you may have had similar experiences and resulting concerns.

Would you be happy to 'talk' about where you are at at the present time?

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi Henry,

Today is a bad day, l feel like my chest is going to explode and my anxiety is through the roof. I have been scrolling through the forums to try and seek some form of guidance and l thank you for reaching out to me.

My life has been a tumultuous one and l was diagnosed with depression in my 20's then clinical depression and anxiety after the birth of my third and then fourth child. The psychologist diagnosed  Post natal depression. 

My days are filled with regret and bad choices have destroyed relationships with most of my children and siblings.

l have a very supportive partner, we have been together for 24 years he has ridden the waves of depression with me and not faltered- he is my rock!

My youngest daughter is also a great comfort to me and never judges me.

Although l have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression l feel there has to be more. Why am l still having these panic attacks......

If it were not for my medication l would not be here now writing this post.

Thanks for listening Henry.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance